Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Mig-25 vs SR-71
Monday, July 14, 2003 (2:19 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
CrazyToFly (2)
Edit
Mig-25 vs SR-71
I have read a lot of stuff on groups regarding mig-25 and sr-71. As I understand they were adversaries in the skies.
Didn't get a clear answer who is better, faster, has higher altitude.
Also, avionics on mig-25 look pretty much outdated even at the time of production while sr-71 had better avionics and had some stealth capabilities.
Thanks for your answers.

Posted by
dude (5)
Edit
RE: Mig-25 vs SR-71
Posted: July 14, 2003 (9:17 PM)
I am not sure what you have read but all I know is that Mig's avionics may be called outdated when in fact the whole concept was built to withstand nuclear explosion. They used vacuum tubes instead if semiconductors.
As for speed - we probably will never know the tops speed of migs as they have never disclosed actual numbers. I know first hand that mig-25 had american built missiles outrunned. they are responsible for shooting down f-15s of israel airforce.
soviet union (and russia now) never sold equipment they build for their own country. all exported models are totally different and usually they do not performed as good as ones used in russia.
stealth, in general it's a hoax that was sold for a number of years to the public. it never worked and probably never will. anything that is not visible with a naked eye can be seen with other devices. usually helper device is much cheaper than technology that makes things invisible.
open popular mechanics (i believe july 1998) and read the article about stealth. 25 cents chip added to a regular radar puts stealth in line with regular aircraft.
i hope it answers your question.

Posted by
flyingtiger (1)
Edit
Posted: July 22, 2003 (3:49 AM)
I disagree with stealth statement. So far it worked in most conflicts. B-2 bombers flew missions half way around the globe without being detected by the enemy.
F-117 flew tons of missions and only one was lost to a freak accident.
SR-71 was flying over USSR and never been shot down. That's the facts.

Posted by
dude (5)
Edit
Posted: July 24, 2003 (4:39 PM)
yeah, calling SR-71 stealth is like calling my car stealth to cops.
Every SR-71 that took-off in Norway was followed by radars as far as Moscow. Not just followed but they also knew which one of SR-71 took-off. They had so much personal signature signal that normal radar was able to distinguish between them.

Posted by
Wynter (3)
Edit
Posted: December 12, 2003 (1:17 AM)
Tru the SR71 wasnt excatly "Stealth" . as the bodyshape was what they concevied as First Gen, but to all points, the SR 71 relied on the fact it could lay down the hammer and run away faster than anything, hence stopping it becoming chaff .
But Stealth itself is a simple concept, just lowering the signature of the aircraft so radar systems have a bitch of a time locking on, Anyways . stealth has the tiny problem that if its used over any nation with a cell network (cell phone) its useless, as the network accually has "holes" in its coverage where the "stealthed" plane is.

Anyways . end of the day the MIG 25 never really would have been a threat to a SR71, it flew to high, to fast. By the time they spotted it, and scrambled, the SR 71 would have dropped hammer and turned in to a black dot on the horizion .

Posted by
Pixel (12)
Edit
Posted: December 15, 2003 (00:48 AM)
Agree on that! the fact is, that SR-71 is still unbeated by Mig-25, SAM's or any other treat. never Happen! (and never will)

The same goes for the F-15, somebody mentioned that Mig-25's downed Israelis F-15's, this isn't true! to date no F-15 (Israeli or American) has been beaten by Mig 25 or any other thing, the F-15 has a perfect record. never has been downed, not a single F-15 has been shot out of the sky. (still unbeaten in war conflicts)

Israelis has lost F-4's and many other types of aircraft but not F-15's. F-16's has been shot down, as well as (1) one F-117 Stealth figther over Bosnia, this by a lucky flak salvo that was aleatorially fired into the path of the plane during a bombing run, aside from that, the F-117 was the top performer of the bombing campaign during the 1991 gulf war, it achieved the 25% of the bombings and was credited with the 40% of all targets destroyed, not a single bullet was received, attaining the greatest reliable record of any airplane on any war in history.

Posted by
Dmitri (1)
Edit
Posted: March 23, 2004 (4:48 PM)
Well, the MiG-25 was and still is the fastest and highest flying fighter in the world. It's max altitude is around 123,000 feet, and can travel at an estimated mach 3.2, without weaponry. With weapons it is still fast; around mach 2.8 or so. I believe a foxbat could take out an SR-71. the SR-71 is completely unarmed and would be flying on a recon mission, so it would not have any air support, and would rely on its own radar. A foxbat could easily get the jump on one. the SR-71 isn't THAT much faster then it. One missile would make up for the difference in speed. I believe the MiG would have better maneuverability as well at those speeds. It was designed specifically for high altitude interception of both spyplanes and the high altitude, supersonic bombers that the United States planned on producing. We will never really know though, as a war with Russia will never occur.

Posted by
Lardawg (2)
Edit
Posted: January 13, 2007 (10:27 PM)
To Flyingtiger - your facts are wrong my friend, no SR-71 EVER flew over the USSR. After the Soviets intercepted a U2 during the Cuban missle crisis, it was ordered that no SR-71's were allowed to fly over the USSR. The pilots of the SR-71's swore that there was nothing in the Soviet inventory that could touch them but our government still decided not to test that theory. As for which one is faster and flies higher.In 1967 a stripped down Mig-25 set a world record by achieving a speed of 1,852 MPH and another Foxbat set the altitude record by soaring to 118,898 feet. Although the Foxbat has reached mach 3, speed is limited to Mach 2.83 mainly by controllability problems. The Foxbat has flown at slightly over mach 3 but for just a couple minutes and reportedly resulted in the total destruction of its engines . On August 31. 1977 a Foxbat flew to an altitude of 123,523.58 feet. This was a zoom climb, not sustained flight and the engines flamed out. On July 28,1976 an SR-71 flew at 2,293 mph or mach 3.35 , a record that still stands. These are facts that can be verified. Although the Foxbat can reach fast speeds and high altitudes, it can't sustain them.meaning it could never catch an SR-71. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !

Posted by
Lardawg (2)
Edit
Posted: January 13, 2007 (10:57 PM)
Here are some interesting facts stated by a Russian Foxbat pilot named Viktor Ivanovich Belenko about the MIG 25 Foxbat that he defected to the United States in.

Pilots were forbidden to exceed Mach 2.5. There was a total of three engine instruments and the airspeed indicator was redlined at 2.8 Mach.

--Above Mach 2.8 the engines would overheat and burn up. The Americans had clocked a Mig-25 over Israel at Mach 3.2 in 1973. Upon landing in Egypt, the engines were totally destroyed. The Americans did not know that the engine destruction was inevitable.

Maximum altitude of its missiles: 88,588 feet.

Ability to intercept an SR-71: Belenko states the Mig-25 cannot intercept the SR-71 for several reasons: The SR-71 fly too high and too fast; the Mig cannot reach it or catch it. The missiles lack the velocity to overtake the SR-71 and in the event of a head on missile fire (The Golden BB), the Guidance system cannot adjust to the high closure rate of the SR-71.

The Mig-25 was was not a fighter or an air superiority aircraft but rather designed by the Soviets to climb at tremendous speeds, fire missiles at one pass of the target and then land.

Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024