Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Oh! How smart Russian are!
Friday, July 16, 2004 (10:58 PM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
WenASe (68)
Edit
Oh! How smart Russian are!
I have found Su-33 ( naval version ) from some websites . I find it very interesting and great. And, Oh, I forget something to tell all of you about Russian Aircraft Carrier design. I became to know that Russian military analysts always oriented "first-take off and strike " principles. By analyzing upward-curved ( at the front-edge of Carrier) design of Russian Aircraft Carrier, Russian Su-33 fighter can take off in a short time and reach to a very high-altitude as soon as it take off from Carrier. This is very important in getting upper-hand in any air-combat.

Posted by
hello (109)
Edit
RE: Oh! How smart Russian are!
Posted: July 16, 2004 (11:37 PM)
Here's what I know,
Russia do not have the aircraft carriers, never had. There were an aircraft support ships "Kiev" and "Minsk" (apparently names stand for Capitals of Ukraine and Belarus). I've heard the rumors that one of them was sold for scrap metal (I can't confirm that).

On the other hands Su-33 takes-off without catapult which says a lot as far as thrust to weight ratio compared to American counterparts (try taking-off fully loaded on F-14 without catapult from the aircraft carrier).

Posted by
Flanker (73)
Edit
Posted: July 19, 2004 (2:14 AM)
It will be very interesting if Su-33 will be modernised just like Su-27, because Su-33 will get the best in all world naval aviation.

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: January 25, 2006 (8:26 PM)
Russians had and have aircraft carriers. I think they had four in the past (I'm not sure about that), but they certainly have one now, the Admiral Kuznetzov.
It's a conventionally powered aircraft carrier, it's also known as Programm 1143.5, 58.500 tons displacement, able of carrying 52 aircrafts/ helo's in total (Yak-41M, S-33, Mig-29K, Su-25UTG, Ka-31).The ramp at the end of the runaway has a dual purpose:
a)Helps the aircrafts to take-off
b)Possibly hides partly the infrastructure from the enemy radars. (This happens in the Kirov class for sure).

It's armed with the Granit SSM (SS-19-Shipwreck) with max range 200 nmi. There was another ship being designed during the Soviet years, the "Ulyanovsk" class, but it wasn't ready untill the Soviet system breakdown in the 1990- so the programm is halted ever since. It would be the russian equivalent to the US "Nimitz" class.

Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024