Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

U-2 spyplane
Friday, September 10, 2004 (00:10 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
WenASe (68)
Edit
U-2 spyplane
With which anti-aircraft missile system did Soviet shot down U.S U-2 spyplane in 1960s? At that time, U.S believed that no Soviet SAM could shoot down its spyplane because of its high-flying technology . Soviet Union shocked the entire world by shooting it down and capturing its pilot. If U.S launch its spy mission like that using its most advanced technology today, can Russian anti-aircraft missile system shoot down anymore?

Posted by
anticommi (33)
Edit
RE: U-2 spyplane
Posted: September 21, 2004 (9:32 AM)
Just wanted to add, S-300 was designed at the end of the 60's and production started in early 70's

So I do not think it qualifies as a new system.

Posted by
anticommi (33)
Edit
Posted: September 22, 2004 (7:44 AM)
I do not have the exact data but U-2 could be downed by K-25 or K-75 rockets. "K" stands for complex in Russian as K-75 was probably just introduced and K-25 was already in the service.
Judging from the rumor it took a few SAM missiles to down the plane it probably was K-25.

But, as I said - I do not have exact data.

Posted by
whocares (25)
Edit
Posted: October 22, 2004 (5:35 PM)
The U-2 was shot down by an SA-2. The designers thought that the U-2 would only have been able to fly for 2 yrs before being shot down, but it went 4 instead. Kinda surprised every one, but it still sucked that we lost it. Oh well. Then again the A-12 didnt do half bad, but by that time satelites were taking over so manned flights became less and less frequent. The funniest part about the story is how mad Krushchev would get every time one would fly over Russia and there was nothing that Russia could do(until they did shoot one down). Oh well, who cares, life goes on and shit. Cant dwell on the past now can we? HAHAH.

P.S. I really am an asshole today, so I do apologize.

Posted by
Rebate (67)
Edit
Posted: May 5, 2006 (11:30 AM)
"With which anti-aircraft missile system did Soviet shot down U.S U-2 spyplane in 1960s?"

- S-75 complex. It's exact.

Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024