Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Question about fighter planes
Thursday, November 4, 2004 (8:14 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
Hrvoje (3)
Edit
Question about fighter planes
I am new in all this stuff with airplanes, and I dont know for what are the pedals in fighter planes?THX

Posted by
Hrvoje (3)
Edit
RE: Question about fighter planes
Posted: November 4, 2004 (10:31 AM)
Thanks.Long live Sukhoi!

Posted by
hello (109)
Edit
RE: Question about fighter planes
Posted: November 4, 2004 (7:26 PM)
yeap, I just wanted to add that rudder is used very often, contrary to the popular opinion. And no, you couldn't make a perfect turn without a rudder - or your coffee will spill.
Also rudder switches the controls with elevator in banks more than 50 degree and you use it heavily there to keep the horizon where you need it.
Pilots use rudder a lot without realizing it in any plane - commercial aviation, fighter jets or a small aviation. It is essential part of control even though it may be used very lightly.

In fact it is so essential - airlines pay shit load of money to calibrate the auto pilot so it keeps aircraft straight. Otherwise plane burns from 0.5 to 3% more fuel (and that's a lot of dow).

Some fighter planes (F-18 for example) use rudder deflection in opposite directions along with elevators, leading edge slots and flaps to get more maneuverability as rudders in this case increases pitching moment by adding drag on the top side of the plane. But hey, it's a bit complicated.

Once you start flying - you'll see how much rudder you use. Over use it - and you are asking for disaster - the stol. Use it too lightly - your drag will be excessive. It's the toughest control to learn how to use properly.

I hope it helps.

Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024