Wallpaper

Russian Visa online

RC Clubs
Code your Mac
Manuals

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Why Americans Lost Vietnam War?
Saturday, June 25, 2005 (00:18 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2 | 3 | 4   Next...
Posted by
Foxroll (5)
Edit
Why Americans Lost Vietnam War?
Hey everyone!
I just want to hear what you guys think. I know that people in the US hate talking about it and they don't want to listen to you if you bring it up. But if you think: the US went to Vietnam to bring "American democracy", many US soldiers were killed there, then they quit and still today South Vietnam is a Communist country. So it is obvious that the US lost that war. So, why did Americans lose?

Posted by
Eagle (9)
Edit
RE: Why Americans Lost Vietnam War?
Posted: June 29, 2005 (9:55 PM)
Technically speaking the Americans never lost.

I know your laughing at this but its true. If you have taken enough classes on this subject you'll come to this conclusion: the Americans won militarilly and lost strategically due to loss of public and political support. The American military actually had no losses in terms of major battles, and could gain ground whenever they wanted to. However, the war was run not by generals in the field, but mostly by the White House. Defense Secretary McNamara, an old WWII Air Force Targeteer, used to pick the targets of the day personally for the strike aircraft. No war should be run this way. Until Operation Linebacker and Linebacker II, the US Military had its hands tied behind its back. Sadly, Linebacker, the unrestricted bombing of Hanoi, did its job in bringing NV to the Paris Peace Talks, and it was already too late to destroy the north.

Also, the loss of public support back home took a huge toll. As with any democracy you will see, the weakness lies with public/political support not actual military power. When the American people said "no" to the war, the war was already on the slow slide downward. Now please, do not compare this to the current situation in Iraq. They are two different eras, wars, people, and militaries.

Posted by
Foxroll (5)
Edit
Posted: July 1, 2005 (7:40 PM)
Well, Eagle, you say what most of Americans say - "The US never lost!" I admit that I haven't read much about that war and all I know is from high school. But, I believe that in every war there is the winner and the loser. If you look back and see how Vietnam fought with their poverty and bad weapons, it is impossible to say that Vietnam lost. Vietnam made Americans leave without letting them to set their rules.

Now I am wondering what people from Vietnam think of that war. Is anybody here from Vietnam?

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: August 3, 2005 (1:38 PM)
Eagle,
you are just a third class person, supporting the US shit.

Posted by
jadeboy (44)
Edit
Posted: August 20, 2005 (8:39 AM)
Sukhoy,

Eagle is right in what he wrote. He's not supporting anything, he stating his opinion. But I challenge you find anything wrong with his statements.

And he is correct on his assessment. Maybe you should do some research on the topic yourself.

Foxroll,

I am from Vietnam, but am now a Canadian. I know alot about the war. My father was in the South Vietnam military during the war and had to goto to concentration camp for a year after the war. And in war you don't always have a winner or loser. Look at the 1953 Korean war, no one won that conflict.

The US NEVER lost ANY major fight in Vietnam. The US won all the battle but they lost the war. Even when they won militarily, they lost in the public press. Read about the TET offensive in 1967, it was a major military failure for the North Vietnamese but it was a massive public relationship win for them in the US Press.

The greatest weakness of the US military is not their military but the public/political opinion, it's true in the Vietnam war and it's still true today. If you want to defeat the US, do it using the public media, as you will not defeat the US on the battle field.

But in the end, although, suffering massive dealth (2+ millions vietnamese died, 58,000 US died), the North Vietnamese won, because they united Vietnam and the US left.

Posted by
Rebate (67)
Edit
Posted: August 23, 2005 (6:53 AM)
Because the USSR helped Vietnamese men.
It's the first cause, I think.

Posted by
jadeboy (44)
Edit
Posted: August 23, 2005 (8:20 AM)
Rebate,

Both China and USSR supplied arms to North Vietnam but they didn't supply direct troop. It helps the North Vietnamese, but it was not the deciding factor, the North Vietnamese suffer massive loses. US public/political opinion and the media was one major factor, some in the US blames the US free media.

Also, the North Vietnamese, were highly motivated, believe in a cause - Unification of North/South, communism, fighting a foreign power, independent. They also had a noble leader in Ho Chi minh, unlikely the corrupt leaders of South Vietnam.

But today Vietnam is very different. The philosophy of the past of communism has tranform into capitalism, they want to make money and better life for the people. Many of the people now don't care about the past because most were not born until after the war (large portion of vietnamese men died during the war). The US and Vietnam has diplomatic ties, they don't view each other as enemy anymore. Recently the Prime Minister of Vietnam visited the US.

Vietnam wants US investments and are trying to attracts US companies like China has attracted many US companies.

Posted by
Rebate (67)
Edit
What country are most powerful?
Posted: August 24, 2005 (5:49 AM)
to jadeboy -

Excuse for my bad English.

Quotation: "The US and Vietnam has diplomatic ties, they don't view each other as enemy anymore". Yes it is. But I watched TV, about Vietnamese's tourism. And commentator spoke that Vietnamese people behave ill-mannered with American tourists. But if that tourists from Russian or China or . they respect them.

What is this - remnant, vestige of WAR. I think it is.
I think they never forget and pardon (or - to reject an excuse) American government, not American people.

You say that "2+ millions vietnamese died" it's the 4% of those population.
What I can say. I'm pity.

Posted by
jadeboy (44)
Edit
Posted: August 24, 2005 (7:51 AM)
"Yes it is. But I watched TV, about Vietnamese's tourism. And commentator spoke that Vietnamese people behave ill-mannered with American tourists. But if that tourists from Russian or China or . they respect them."

Although, there will always be people will have that opinion, especially people in the NORTH Vietnam (maybe that where your TV tourism show was). You have to understand Vietnam was South and North, the south was supported by the American. If you look at the Vietnamese population. Most were borned after the War, without the memory. People now care more about money and a better life, and they know American/Western companies can help that just like in China.

Posted by
shaoran (4)
Edit
Posted: August 25, 2005 (1:45 AM)
Both China and USSR supplied arms to North Vietnam but they didn't supply direct troop.
--------------------------

Lie. I personally know the woman, whose husband served in Vietanm during the war.

USA lost, because their Air Foece got hammered by us, russians. At least 1 to 1,5 aircraft kill ratio. Read Maxim Kalashnikov FMI.

Posted by
jadeboy (44)
Edit
Posted: August 25, 2005 (4:08 AM)
"Lie. I personally know the woman, whose husband served in Vietanm during the war. "

My Dad serve in the vietnam war. My family is vietnamese and I am was born there. Wow you know 1 woman.

"USA lost, because their Air Foece got hammered by us, russians. At least 1 to 1,5 aircraft kill ratio. Read Maxim Kalashnikov FMI. "

This shows me you nothing about the Vietnam War, go do some research before you make yourself look more dumb. US loss in Vietnam is public record. There is website which maintains records of air battle victories (this is just one site).

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/aerial_victory_credits/avc_index.html

For the US statistic data, you must have a video of the action or some independent party to verify the shoot down, since the record includes the date it was done, the person, the location. I would like some Russia statistic data for this as, I have NEVER seen any record anywhere or any type from USSR. So please provide some URL with statistic please, please.

Here is another with North Vietnamese Air Ace and Kill Ratio

http://www.danshistory.com/airwar.shtml

Don't see any Russian pilot.

One of main reason why the US never lost any major combat was because they had air domination. Their B-52 pounded the shit out of the North Vietnamese, heard of the term "Carpet bombing" ?

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2 | 3 | 4   Next...

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024