Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Topol-M and NMD
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 (8:30 PM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
Gagarin (4)
Edit
Topol-M and NMD
Can Russia's most advanced Topol-M ICBM penetrate the U.S's NMD ( National Missile Defence )system?

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
RE: Topol-M and NMD
Posted: December 14, 2005 (5:28 AM)
Yes, it is believed that.

Topol-M can change target and altitude, so it is very hard to counter it.

Posted by
Rebate (67)
Edit
Posted: December 15, 2005 (12:07 PM)
Yes

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/rt-2pmu.htm

Posted by
JSF_fan (48)
Edit
Posted: December 20, 2005 (3:01 AM)
I question the ability of a national defence missile system to work. I reckon any idiot could fire a scud off a ship and bit the US mainland its not too hard.

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: January 18, 2006 (6:12 PM)
I'm pretty sure that the SS-27 Topol-M is able to penetrate the US Star Wars NMD. According to Scott Ritter(former arms inspector in Iraq)"the Topol-M is too fast to hit right take-off,unless the interceptor is lucky enogh to be really close to the launch pad." "The SS-27 is hardened against lasers, so the US defence system's airborne laser- which is already behind schedule- wouldn't work. And because the missile is maneuverable and capable of releasing 3 warheads and 4 decoys, it would be much harder to defeat as it falls in the terminal stage of flight" he concludes.
So, it seems like the Topol-M is not only able of penetrating the present, but also the future NMD form.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: January 18, 2006 (6:28 PM)
Japanese said they tracked bulava from (navy variant of Topol-M)an unanounced exercise in North Russia with the newest radar. Officials from Russia said japanese only came with offensive words!

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: January 19, 2006 (10:10 AM)
You can certainly track it; no one said it's a stealthy missile. But I think it's a long way from tracking it till destroying it. If the Russians are to launch a Topol against Japan for example, this will take off from Siberia (or under the polar ice if it's a Bulava-30 launched by a sub) and the Japanese will not know a thing untill the nuc warhead is over their heads. And they probably still won't get them due to the decoys according to my opinion. I won't dare to imagine a scenario of multiple launches!

Posted by
thisisreal (110)
Edit
Posted: March 26, 2006 (5:05 PM)
The NMD, in its right now, can defeat a limited attack of 2 to 3 missiles, but would probably be defeated by a single MIRVed ICBM or SLBM, doesn't have to be a Topol-M.

I think it will never be able to defeat a Russian attack, but it has a chance against a Chinese attack or a hypothetical North Korean launch.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: March 27, 2006 (4:26 AM)
Why do you say USA can defend an Chinese attack? Too they had maybe houndred or thousends ballistic misilles.

Posted by
thisisreal (110)
Edit
Posted: April 14, 2006 (7:04 PM)
Tell me, of those "thousands" of Ballistic MIssiles, how many are equipped with warheads and how many are deliverable at any given time? Chinese Ballistic missiles are interceptable by the NMD and Sm-3s. After they are intercepted, there's going to be a rain of Nukes on China.

China isn't going to take on a country with the most number of nukes.
Also, Chinese nukes are under civilian command not military.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: April 14, 2006 (7:32 PM)
Maybe China haven't thousends of nuke weapons, but after some estimates it is believe to have about 2000.

from http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/nuke/index.html

There is considerable uncertainly in published estimates of the size of the Chinese nunclear weapons stockpile. In the late 1980s it was generally held that China was the world's third-largest nuclear power, possessing a small but credible nuclear deterrent force of 225 to 300 nuclear weapons. Other estimates of the country's production capacities suggested that by the end of 1970 China had fabricated around 200 nuclear weapons, a number which could have increased to 875 by 1980. With an average annual production of 75 nuclear weapons during the 1980s, some estimates suggest that by the mid-1990s the Chinese nuclear industry had produced around 2,000 nuclear weapons for ballistic missiles, bombers, artillery projectiles and landmines

Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024