Only a few aircraft carriers for the Sov...
Home
Book a Flight
Flight Prices
Special Offers!
Price Guarantee
Price a Flight
- Order Process
Calendar
Zero-G Flights
Gift Certificates
Hotels
Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com?
Aircraft
In the Media
Contact Us
Questions
Flight Stories
About Us
MAKS 2003
MAKS 2005
Updates

Avia X-change
Aviation Forum
Cool Stuff
Affiliates
Mail Lists
iPod
PostCards
Search
Links
Aviation Books
Videos
Wallpaper

Russian Visa online

RC Clubs
Code your Mac
Manuals

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Only a few aircraft carriers for the Soviet Navy
Sunday, December 18, 2005 (2:55 PM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2 | 3   Next...
Posted by
Gagarin (4)
Edit
Only a few aircraft carriers for the Soviet Navy
As we all know, the Soviets built only a few ( not more than 4 ) aircraft carriers for their Navy during the Cold War. Why didn't they build many aircraft carriers to counter the U.S Navy that had about at least 12 carriers at that time?

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
RE: Only a few aircraft carriers for the Soviet Navy
Posted: December 19, 2005 (2:40 AM)
For what so many carriers? Where to go with them? At U.S.A?
If USSR would go in war with USA than, that war would be nuke one. So its duration were max 1 hour.
USSR had 120 subs!
Even in conventional war, US experts in 1975 said in case of war USA would lose in 17 days! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

THAT US EXPERTS SAID.

And think that in 1975 were probably F-14 F-15 and F-16 operational.
In USSR were not MiG-29 and Su-27! ! ! ! ! !

Posted by
JSF_fan (48)
Edit
Posted: December 20, 2005 (3:00 AM)
Can i see your evidence of this 17 day thing? because it sounds like rubbish to me.After all you are terribly baised.

The answer was that the Soviets and Americans had different strategy. This can be shown in both land forces and naval forces.

The Russians were going to rely on the strength of strong tanks whether the Americans were relying on mobility through helicopters.

In terms of the navy, the Russians were relying on a fleet of balistic subs (bomber planes as well). The US was relying on bomber planes plus carriers. In my opinion both strategys have their advantages and disadvantages.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: December 20, 2005 (11:23 AM)
From my post you can see that I told about 2 strategies, right.

About 17 days:

Yes, too, for me it is hard to believe that, but at Discovery Channel I saw it. And think that channel TV told almost only about western military tech.
Yes, again, it is hard to believe, but I saw it at TV, is not my invention!

Posted by
SenFreebie (13)
Edit
Posted: January 10, 2006 (7:54 PM)
I would find it hard to believe that the Soviets could win a war in 1975 in 17 days but as for the implication that they relied mainly on powerful tanks, this is a mis-assumption. They relied on combined arms tactics which they developed and the USA has (in the last 15 years) adopted. It involves combined the elements they need on the battlefield within the same battle, effectively to combat each threat with its best counter. Also at the time Soviet helicopter forces were more powerful then the USA's and their airborne troops were even more powerful in comparison.

As for the question raised by the creator of the thread, the Soviets again had different doctrine and ideology in the Cold War. Carriers were for fleet defence while US CV's were for fleet offence. Soviet Carriers would defend their nuclear subs from ASW aircraft to give them a chance to deploy and launch their missiles while US Carriers would circulate around the world, attempting to give the USA deep penetration with fighter and attack aircraft such as the F-14 or A-6.

This doesn't completely answer why the Soviets built less, but with their focus on paratroops they already had a sizeable rapid deployment force that could be deployed with air force assets faster then any US Marine force so power projection through carriers wasn't such a big deal and hence wasn't worth spending as many resources on as the USA. I guess you could say their philosophy was, build more and better fighters and lots of paratrooper planes and you won't need airbases in the middle of the Atlantic, Pacific or Indian oceans.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: January 11, 2006 (3:29 AM)
Yes, right, good and more complete post!

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: January 19, 2006 (5:21 PM)
Yeah, I agree, good job SenFreebie!

Posted by
SenFreebie (13)
Edit
Posted: January 20, 2006 (00:15 AM)
Thank you for the support in this view. This is mainly based on what I've read online but I think its probably important to emphasise that every country has its own strategic objectives and ways of going about securing those objectives. The USA for example is embroiled in a 'war against terrorism'. Regardless of your views on this wars legitimacy or credibility it still means that the USA needs to travel to distant places and conduct military operations. In Afghanistan they saw a new need for the F-14 as it was being phased out of service and this rejuvinated the appeal to their leaders of aircraft carriers. They were only permitted to use a small handful (if multiple) of local airbases when they joined that conflict and thanks to free passage through Pakistani air space and their carriers they were able to conduct more operations then would have normally have been allowed.

Russia on the other hand is mainly faced with regional security threats now that their political ideology has changed. Most of these threats are poorly armed and are within reach of a platoon equipped with a rugged truck so the need for an aircraft carrier is not so dire. Of course the Russian economy is expanding and becoming closely linked with the Indians and the Chinese which means ties in Africa and South America could one day foresee the need of an aircraft carrier in the same role as the USA but it a conflict so significant that it calls for that kind of deployment is not likely for a long time. Besides, with such a capable air-borne army they can deploy a sizeable enough force to secure air-fields if it comes down to it.

China on the other hand is a different kettle of fish again. Their main security interests are in the Pacific and mostly within reach of their new Russian fighters. However depending on the mission this could require air to air refueling, external fuel tanks and reduced payload. A carrier, deployed a certain distance from their coastline would allow many of their more capable Su-30MKK aircraft to fly from the mainland, refuel, take off and then operate from a new, rejuvinated operational circle. Thus medium carriers are the most likely development there and only to project power x2 rather then globally.

India, I don't totally understand but I believe is justified in having a carrier. Their main security concern is now Pakistan and that is fading so the most likely forseeable use of a carrier is in support of peacekeeping operations. A large possibility is for its use in ASW in support of that sort of operation against a better equipped adversary to a UN sponsored mission in for example Africa. However this doesn't explain why they've gone to such lengths to get aircraft carriers. Just because they're useful in a certain role doesn't make them necessary so there has to be another underlying factor I just can't figure out.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: January 20, 2006 (3:03 AM)
India want to have the supremacy in Indian Ocean, and want to secure its economic and strategic links over the sea.

Posted by
hello (109)
Edit
Posted: February 8, 2006 (4:48 AM)
I am just wondering - why are you so angry cowboykiller? Did you have a bad childhood? Someone abused you so you have that much anger?

Why war? Why kill people? Better, worse! Who cares. Did you go to combat yourself? Did you ever kill a person? Do you know how it feels?
Why?

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: February 8, 2006 (7:11 AM)
Vietnam war was lost by USA! The losses in Vietnam side were greater - far more greater, but win that war.
Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2 | 3   Next...

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024