Wednesday, March 15, 2006 (3:40 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed...Previous   1 | 2 | 3

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
RE: Marine Corps and Army
Posted: June 15, 2006 (7:07 AM)
Hi guys!
I believe myself that Russians have also a significant airlift capability. Sukhoy mentioned the aircrafts.

As for the An-124: Sukhoy said that NATO -not USA itself- borrowed An-124's. In all, Britain, France, Germany, Denmark, Canada, Luxemburg, Norway,Holland, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Chzech Republic, Finland and Sweden have signed a contract with Ruslan SALIS Gmbh for 2 An-124-100 -in permanent lease basis- and another 2 lended with a warning of 6-9 days. The reason of that, is to cover the airlift needs of the above mentioned countries due to the operations in Middle East as well, untill A-400 enters military service.

I've heard though, that also USA borrowed An-124's to carry some important archaeological findings from Iraq to Nevada, but I couldn't crosss-check it.
An-124 can carry 120 tons and An-225 Mriya 250!

Speaking of Marines though, Russians have also a big sealift capability: Zubr class hovercrafts can move three times the load of a US hovercraft (LCAC) and the Ekranoplane flying boat, though not widely or even not used at all anymore.

Posted by
Diltz (17)
Edit
Posted: February 7, 2007 (2:57 AM)
The U.S. has the C-5, C-17, KC-135, KC-10 and C-130J. The C-5s are being updated with brand new avionics and systems. The C-17 is brand new and has a faster turn around time then a Antonov 124. The KC-135 is getting old but is still a very capable aircraft. The KC-10 is replacing the KC-135 and the KC-10 will be supplemented by the soon to come KC-X. The C-130J is the newest C-130 and is completly modernized compaired to the C-130H.

Posted by
MarlboroManX (48)
Edit
Posted: November 27, 2007 (1:39 AM)
The short answer between the Marine Corps and the Army is one of training.

During wartime the U.S. Army may draft in order to raise the numbers it needs.

The USMC does not draft.

USMC training is more than twice as long as Army training.

In essence the marines are meant to be a more "elite" force with its roots in being naval infantry to seize and capture coastal areas in support of larger army and naval operations. The marine corps was called on to do much more than this especially in World War II as most of the Army was concentrated in Europe.

In essence the Marines have evolved into a more "elite" army designed for rapid deployment and mobility. The marine corps is also unique in that it is the only branch of the military that has all combat resources it needs under its own command. (maine infantry, marine aviation, marine ships, etc)

For better explanation think of this scenario.

A major operation is being launched against a country with similar combat capability. (Let's say Russia, but this is only an example guys don't jump on me)

The order of battle on land would be for US Marines to perform any initial landing to capture ports or other landing zones. From there the Marines would proceed inward in the initial thrust supported likely by Army units trained in cold-weather environments. US army units would advance on the flanks and capture secondary targets.

Marines are meant primarily as an offensive force designed for rapid mobility. This is why the marines have had a bit more trouble in Iraq than the Army has the Marines were not built, trained, and equipped for this type of mission. Marine involvement has been mostly to supplement Army forces which have more training in that type of duty.

I may be rambling a bit and the truth is in recent years the line between the two services has been blurred. If the question is still open think of the Army as "Regulars" and the Marines as "Shock Troops" for comparison between the two.

Posted by
me09harrg (1)
Edit
Posted: May 13, 2010 (7:29 AM)
ok so im a marine, and this annoys the out of me when I hear about people saying that we are parallel or the same as the army, we are nothing similar. the army is how much bigger than the marines and have more money with much better equipment and pay their men and women more. But why can the marine corps, so small and pretty much poor with old hand me down gear do exactly the same and more as the army?
Reply to this threadRSS Feed...Previous   1 | 2 | 3

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024