What gives the Abrams an edge over Russi...
Home
Book a Flight
Flight Prices
Special Offers!
Price Guarantee
Price a Flight
- Order Process
Calendar
Zero-G Flights
Gift Certificates
Hotels
Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com?
Aircraft
In the Media
Contact Us
Questions
Flight Stories
About Us
MAKS 2003
MAKS 2005
Updates

Avia X-change
Aviation Forum
Cool Stuff
Affiliates
Mail Lists
iPod
PostCards
Search
Links
Aviation Books
Videos
Wallpaper

Russian Visa online

RC Clubs
Code your Mac
Manuals

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

What gives the Abrams an edge over Russian models
Friday, June 2, 2006 (10:11 PM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2   Next...
Posted by
Foxhound (131)
Edit
What gives the Abrams an edge over Russian models
From the History Channel.

They stated this where these components were made, and I drew my own conclusion.

German made: Main Gun, and Engine.

They did not detail the Fire Control, but I would wager that was also bulit by "Fritz Inc."

Soild reliable components are always an edge.

The Germans "Fritz" and one could include the Sweeds "Gloomy Gus" are the best precision manufactures in the world.

And if they did not build it, it's a safe bet that the machenery used to create it was built by one or the other.

Russians as a matter of pride, economics, or for whatever reason, tend to keep everything home-built as much as possible.

Foxhound: Good Day

Posted by
cooning (1)
Edit
RE: What gives the Abrams an edge over Russian models
Posted: June 2, 2006 (11:11 PM)
I agree with all of the above and just wanted to add - it's not Russian pride to build home as much as possible but rather dependability.
What I mean is that when something goes sideways with supplier or the country of supplier - you may no longer will be able to depend on supplier. If it's home built - there is some control over the process.
Biut hey, that's just me.

Posted by
Foxhound (131)
Edit
Posted: June 2, 2006 (11:35 PM)
Have to agree with the spirit of your statement.

Look at how many jets Saab exports, not many.

Sweeden is a netural country, and is selective about whom they sell to as far as direct military sales.

I don't think Germany would be a hard country to deal with, as modern Fritz keeps Business, Politics, and religon, seperate issues.

But, My opinion and could be wrong.

Foxhound: sniffing.

Posted by
Rowdy (105)
Edit
Posted: June 3, 2006 (12:43 PM)
If you compare Abram with T-90, you will find Abram is quite big because of extra armor while T-90 is compact and have less chances of getting spotted, both have pros and cons
i am waiting for T-95!

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: June 3, 2006 (1:03 PM)
T-90 can destroy the enemy missile before impact. I wonder M1 can do it?

Posted by
Rowdy (105)
Edit
Posted: June 3, 2006 (1:09 PM)
I dont think M1 can stop incoming missiles

Posted by
Foxhound (131)
Edit
Posted: June 4, 2006 (6:47 AM)
Got me there.

As I have said before, I am not a Tank person.

But, the intent of this posting is to point out what, in my opinion, are some advantages of the Abrams.

Foxhound: out.

Posted by
JuniorKilat (26)
Edit
Posted: June 11, 2006 (1:22 AM)
I just think maybe because of the great advancement of technology in the US compared to Russia.

Posted by
Foxhound (131)
Edit
Posted: June 11, 2006 (9:00 AM)
It seems any advantage the Abrams has comes from German not American tech.

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: June 12, 2006 (5:31 AM)
Hi guys!

I think that the T-90 is better than the Abrams from many aspects.

- It has larger cannon than all the western tanks, 125mm.

- It can launch AT missiles through the cannon, with range of 5000m. So, it can actually engage any tank, before the latter gets the chance to fire its cannon, due to the distance.

-As for the incoming missiles: the T-90 repels an incoming missile possibly with an active armor system: the armor explodes when the missile is close and prevents it from exploding itself. It wouldn't be a bad bet though saying that the Abrams has a similar protection system, but, at least some of them, don't need it. This is because they have DU armor, so they are practically immune to enemy fire.

-The T-80 has another protection system, the Shotra-1. When the tank is pointed by a laser beam, the Shotra launches smoke flares all around so as to prevent the enemy from firing and the turret automatically turns towards the direction of the threat. I don't know if the same system is also installed on the T-90, but it's not impossible.

-Lastly, the T-90 is lighter, with lower silouette and as far as i know easy to repair and maintain, reliable that is.

But, as Rowdy said, I'm waiting for the T-95 as well!

Posted by
Foxhound (131)
Edit
Posted: June 13, 2006 (9:21 PM)
Greek.

But would that reactive armor leave the affected area compromised in the event of successive attacks?

Foxhound:

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2   Next...

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024