Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

stealth design
Monday, July 10, 2006 (2:28 PM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed
Posted by
luftwaffe (3)
Edit
stealth design
1--Can anybody tell me why the F-22 raptor does not look like a conventional stealth aircraft?
the F-117 was designed in such a way that it reflects off the radar in a different direction away from the source.
the F-22 raptor looks lik an ordinary fighter n so wen i heard that it has stealth capabilities i was taken aback.
the raptor does not have the single wing design of the B2 bomber.
So here we hav a fighter tht does not resemble the conventional stealth fighter.why is that so?.
2--The russians claim to b workin on plasma stealth tech. wat conclusion i hav drawn is that once the plasma cloud generator is developed it can be put to any aircraft n can be made 'stealthy'
is this possible?.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
RE: stealth design
Posted: July 10, 2006 (6:33 PM)
F-22 use RAM Radar Absorbant Material. Its shapes give it a plus to its stealth, missiles are carried inside bays and radar use some new tech, it is said fighter like F-15 can't see F-22 flying with radar on.
But Su-30/34/35 have a better radar than F-15. Have some 5th gen. tech. I think it can see an F-22 but from shorter range.

A BIG MINUS FOR F-22 IS IRST. F-22 HAS NOT IRST.

I have a great question, and please post your opinion: F-22 can see an F-22?

I think yes, but like Su, within shorter range.
F-22 is not that stealth like USAF said, it is only for propaganda.

About plasma shield from Keldish NIT:
It is at 3rd generation. The first 2 don't allow to use your radar and radio comunication.
3rd allow you that. Russians said that RCS is reduced by 100 times.
In some exercices was installed in MiG-21 but reduced it only 5 times against MiG-31 but I'm not sure if against other fighter that"5" is the same. I think it is very good. Think that maneuverability are not suffered, and is a very cheap solution.
Plasma generator have only 80kg. Radar on MiG-31 have 1 tonne (only anntena have 300kg), on Su-30 about 300Kg.
Too, russians use some RAM. Was applied on Tu-160 for testing, but price are riceing very much. So Plasma Shield is a very good option, or better said - the best option.

Posted by
luftwaffe (3)
Edit
Posted: July 11, 2006 (12:14 PM)
Yes i do feel that an f22 can see other f22s.may b they hav an IR detecter with them onboard.and u r right.it'll b operative only at close ranges.
it really is a major disadvantage if the f22 is not IR protected.this may b because the exhausts of the engines r kept outside,unlike the F117 which took great efforts to put the engines inside.and cool the hot air as it comes outside.

The plasma cloud tech is revolutionary!.it weighs only 100kg or so.and in the future just the generator can be put inside any aircraft.this will solve all the complex design problems that are now involved to build a stealth aircraft.
please visit this web site.i found it very informative
http://www.warfare.ru/

Posted by
luftwaffe (3)
Edit
Posted: July 11, 2006 (12:18 PM)
looks like the above url did not come fully.
go to
http://www.warfare.ru/

under www.warfare.ru click on arms catalog.then airforce fighters and then click on mig39/1.42

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: July 11, 2006 (1:41 PM)
I said F-22 has not IRST. It is somehow protected against IR missiles.

Posted by
JSF_fan (48)
Edit
Posted: September 8, 2006 (6:39 PM)
One way is through the use of RAM materials but the other way is through shape. All the curvature on the F-22 is designed to reflect radar waves off at angles so they do not return to the source. The F-117 was the original where they used especially arranged flat surfaces to bounce radar waves off. That then developed the B-2 where the curve technique was used. The F-22 then took that idea of curves off the B-2. This also explains why the F-22 has a 2D not 3D thrust vectoring nozzle; the 2D one is stealthier due to its shape.
Stealth isn�t about just hiding yourself radar it also involves reducing heat, sound, smoke from engines etc
And F-22s wouldn�t need to see each other they can just send communications about where they are to each other.
Questions have been raised about Plasma stealth, such as the heat it would produce and the affect it has on an aircrafts communications.
The sort of range that the Su-35 would be able to detect the F-22 is said to be below the 25km mark in which case the F-22 would have fired and killed by then.

Posted by
MarlboroMan (30)
Edit
Posted: December 15, 2006 (2:01 AM)
IRST? The F-22 certainly does have Infrared Search and Track, which is a component of its FLIR system, which is the center display in the cockpit. Capable of putting together a visual image of the BVR targets it is shooting at. This allows the pilot to see what he is shooting at, and what direction it is going so he can give his missiles a slight lead.

The F-117 and the B-2 both make extensive use of RAM. The F-22 only uses RAM on the inlets of the engines, and a clear coating on the cockpit as the pilot's helmet is one of the very biggest sources of radar signature. Shape is the biggest factor in stealth, the biggest creater of stealth is right angles. This is why a HUMVEE has a bigger radar signature than a B-52.

The F-22 relies on its shape for stealth, however for the small amount of RAM the F-22 can be detected for a split second when it turns. However it is so quick it may not be noticed, seen, or may appear as a glitch.

Another big creaator of radar signature is weapons, F-22 carries them internally. Also the F-117 and B-2 are a more primitive stealth, the F-22 comes many years, hours of research, and billions of dollars later.

Posted by
Sukhoy (488)
Edit
Posted: December 15, 2006 (6:12 PM)
If an airplane is stealth due to its shape, is only in some position. Turn it with let's say 45 degree or 78 horizontally and 23 vertically (only an example, random) and you will see, it will not be such stealth. If it use RAM will be stealthier but not very much.
Reply to this threadRSS Feed

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024